Saturday, October 10, 2009

Anybody want a peanut...butter?

Friday night, Mark and I went with our ward assignment to the Church's Houston Cannery and made peanut butter. To be more precise, we actually had nothing to do with the making of the peanut butter, but we bottled about 5,500 jars of it. (Others in our group were in the making end, and went through about 4 bags of peanuts each weighing in at 2,200 lbs). We had a great time, and though undermanned ran the double shift without a hitch. Mark and the Elders Quorum President put the lids on and tightened them for about 3 hours straight- which is supposed to be a 3 person job as the conveyor moves quite quickly. but they didn't miss a jar. I had less energetic tasks and was, therefore, freezing all 4 hours. From boxing the jars, to unpacking empty jars, to my longest role- feeding empty jars into the filling machine. It was very enjoyable and smelled really good- like roasting peanuts, which also reminded me of my mom's flank steak marinade for some reason.

3 comments:

Sheralie said...

I think the cannery smells like peanut butter cookies . . . yum. I think I have done that exact same job, Amy. Factory work like this was rather interesting to me but I would hate to do it for the rest of my life.

Pete said...

I had the lid tightening job once with several other people. It didn't go without a hitch though. At some point, the person in charge of filling the jars with peanut butter got off or something and peanut butter was going everywhere. They had to shut down the whole line. They fired our whole union.

Sarah said...

you guys are so great- and so cute! thanks for the posts!!