Monday, March 29, 2010

Girl's Weekend: Chicago

I just got back from a weekend in Chicago with my mom and sisters. I had really low expectations for the city (don't know why) but I loved it. It was beautiful and clean and artsy. I barely got my camera out so excuse the lack of pictures. The only one I have is at the Cloud Gate by Kapoor. I call it the Giant Bean. It was pretty cool though, especially underneath it.
The whole trip was pretty fun, too. We went to my mom's violin shop and listened to her play some beautiful violins. That was really fun. It kind of made my fingers itch to play again but I don't sound like she does.
The Art Institute of Chicago was our next destination. I really enjoyed the little museum and the art community around it. Food and spa pampering was also a highlight Friday.
Saturday was shopping day. I held up pretty well for the first part of the day. My sisters all have a higher endurance and passion for shopping than I. I am excited about my new shoes and sweaters, though.
We went to a local ward for Sacrament meeting and I was surprised to recognize one of the missionaries names in the program - the ones that the ward sent out and encourages writing to - he served in Baytown when we were there last Fall and was the only Thank You note I ever got after having the missionaries over for dinner.
Sunday brunch...2.5 hours...what more needs to be said.
Anyway, it was a good trip. It was fun to see my sisters and mom and get caught up a little on what each one of them is doing. And it is good to be back home and back with my husband.

4 comments:

Annlbtx said...

Sounds like you had a very fun packed weekend!

Jen said...

I didn't know you or your mom played the violin. Glad you got to have some fun girl time!

phil said...

i learned to play the violin at one point

Sheralie said...

I love Chicago. I am glad you made it to the art institute. Fabulous.