Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Rough Day

Some days are just rough...but they always get better.
It started this morning when I went to finish my sculpture pieces (the final is on Thursday).
I had filled these rubber molds with a amber resin and we were going to just pop them out and make some more....well no popping occurred. They were stuck fast to the rubber. We practically tore them out. As you can imagine the molds didn't like this... ripping chunks out of the molds and all. Ruining molds, great way to start the day.
Then I spent at least 2 hours grinding my glass piece. It had some problems last week that I was trying to fix today. The piece had cracked and so I was going to re-fire it in order to seal the cracks. But first I had to remove a large chunk of glass from the back so that it lay flat. But... to grind glass, it must always be wet. So you use a water grinder, which is a grinder that sprays water everywhere. So now I'm wet, very wet, but my piece is ground flat. Yay!BUT, before I can put it back in the kiln, I have to fill the back up with plaster so that it doesn't lose its shape when it gets hot. No problems there. Then we go to lift it up and ... chink (or whatever sound glass makes when it cracks in half) and the right side of the body falls off. So now you think I'm just paranoid when I say I see the plaster cracking on the left side of the body- well no, the glass is cracked all the way through now too, I just don't dare move it so it hasn't broken off yet. Now that the glass is very broken, we are still going to try to melt it back together but there are no guarantees that it will work or even look good. That was very frustrating.
But days always get better. Thanks Mark for cheering me up and helping me relax.

3 comments:

Laura said...

sorry it cracked....looks awesome though! hopefully it can just melt back together!

Mary Jolley said...

The molds are faces! I didn't realize that before,cool.

Brittny1007 said...

Amy, I like the work. Its strange how similar the concepts are to what we use in dentistry. Impressions, molds, models (cracks in the models.....), and the end product often not being perfect. Luckily, perfection isn't on the radar and functional and esthetic are the goals.
That said, cool stuff.