Sunday, October 10, 2010

Saturday

So the scans didn't turn out very well, but I don't really want to rescan them, so they'll have to do.
Mark and I had a busy but really good Saturday. We spent most of the late morning and afternoon at the Exxon Safety Harvest. This was pretty much a variety of booths teaching safety and giving out information and various items (reminded me a bit of the career fair). We got a lot of water bottles, key chains, candy, chapstick, etc. There was also food. I discovered that turkey legs are a lot bigger than chicken drumsticks. And we both discovered that we like funnel cake. We got massages and a family photo and held a giant snake (albino something or other)...
We also got to go on a plant tour through the refinery. Unfortunately. Mark's part of the refinery was not part of the tour because they are still in turnaround. But it was pretty cool to see what it was like inside the gates. It wasn't much different from what it looks like from the outside but you can see more clearly how complex it is. There are so many pipes and valves and units.

After the harvest and a nap we went downtown. While Mark and Steve went and ran 6 miles, Kalina, Clark and I went to the Arts Festival. It was really neat. There were a lot of artists and some really neat pieces. I am really glad that we ended up going. Kalina had worn a BYU football which attracted more attention than Clark. I think we met all the other Mormons there. Anyway, it was interesting and enlightening and I am really glad I went.
We wrapped up the night with some tasty (and spicy) burgers and some college football.
It was a good day.

3 comments:

Laura said...

looks like harvest festival was fun! can't believe how huge that snake is! hope you are feeling ok...glad it's not so hot down there anymore! love you!

Jen said...

I HATE snakes...pretty sure I would have turned the other way and ran as fast as I could. You are much braver than I. Looks like fun though.

Sheralie said...

I love funnel cake too. What a fun day. I can't believe how much you can do in one weekend!