Saturday, January 17, 2009

My first post

So I'm finally getting around to posting something on the blog.

This is a generalized description of my work.
I am working in the plant. I have an office in an office building at the front of the plant, but I have access to and go into the refinery and the units themselves on a regular basis. Anytime you go outside in the plant you have to wear all the safety gear. Exxon is very strict about safety standards. Sometimes annoyingly strict. I wouldn't say there is any real danger in my work. Right now I am working on a filtration system for one of the tanks that ships out heavy specialties - heavier than motor oil and lubes. Sometimes they randomly have solids that show up in these products, and then they can't ship it out to the customers, and they end up paying money to have the railcars, tanker trucks, and ships just sitting around waiting for them to be able to load them up. I've also been charged with finding out what the solid stuff in the tanks is. There are a lot of possibilities, but the chemical analysis show that it has a composition similar to a mixture of coke (not the soda) and dirt. No one seems to have much of a clue as to where its coming from, and it's not consistent. Yesterday we had a meeting where we all sat around and wrote ideas on a white board. I felt like I was on an episode of House. Fun times.
So far I've really enjoyed this stint at the refinery. After nearly completing the chemical engineering major, I am much more comfortable than I was in my first term. I understand most things that are going on. The work environment is certainly different than Fairfax. Up there, you had to wear a shirt and tie all the time and it was just an office. In the refinery, it's nice to be able to actually go out and see the equipment you're working on or the system you're designing. I also love living about 8 minutes from the office building and 1 minute from the refinery gate. I get to come home for lunch every day and usually am home before 5 in the afternoon. It's much more relaxing than being in school.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

sounds really cool, Mark. is this something you can see yourself doing longterm? thanks for sharing!

Mary Jolley said...

That sounds really interesting and like you have to be smart to work there. Good for you, I am so glad that you like it. If I every get a chance to visit, can I have a tour?

Laura said...

cool to be in an real working plant....and get to play house at the same time. love that show.

Pete said...

Mark the Engineer. Any chance you will be able to drive trains?