Tuesday, January 6, 2009

In Baytown

Mark and I finally have internet up at our new apartment so pictures will be forth coming. We moved in on Saturday with help from Charlie and Steve. The drive was surprisingly enjoyable and didn't seem all that long. We listened to the Da Vinci Code and talked and watched the miles pass by. The weather got warmer pretty consistantly as we drove south but every once and a while show would again be covering the ground. It was 11° in Green River, Ut when we started our second day of driving. Fortunately, Saturday was a balmy and sunny day. We were able to move in with almost now delay...after the front office returned from a hour and a half lunch break timed perfectly with our arrival. I was pleasantly surprised by the apartment. It is clean, has quite a bit of storage space, and is just great for a family of our size. We are still in the process of organizing our stuff and putting it all away but it feels much more like our home now and I am happy to be here.
So far, I like Baytown. It is a fairly small town with very old small run down shops next door to modern giants. I don't think the elevation changes more than 5 ft throughout the area but I don't mind except when I care to see the sun setting over the refinery. There have actually been gorgeous sunsets each night that we have been here.
yes, Dad, I can smell the plant at various times during the day; it comes and goes. Sometimes it takes me a minute to remember what the smell is. But I don't mind it.
It has rained most of today and yesterday, but I've mostly been indoors or running errands trying to get everything set up here so I don't care that much. After Saturday, I thought maybe it would stay warmer for a while, but it has quickly gone back to cold weather.
I'll get pictures up soon.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

thanks for the update. sounds like an adventure like nothing the rest of us have ever done. have fun!