Sunday, June 19, 2011

MRI Update

I had a really busy week of Doctor's visits. Fortunately we don't live too far away from great hospitals. Still 30-45 minutes seems really long when you go twice in one day.
Wednesday, I went down to Texas Children's Hospital for a fetal MRI. The test was really long and uncomfortable. I was really tired after that. Later that day Mark and I went back down to the hospital to meet with the neurosurgeon and go over the findings of the MRI.
The MRI confirmed that Bluebear has mild hydrocephalus. They were able to rule out some causes but unable to determine what the actual cause was. There are no other issues that they found. I'm relieved about that. We discussed the surgical options that may be necessary after she is born; however, the bottom line is we wait and see what the situation is after she is born.
Friday, I went to my perinatologist (the high-risk guy who has been monitoring and did the original diagnosis). He was very upbeat and found that Bluebear's ventricles were less dilated than they were 2 weeks ago. He wasn't sure what this would mean in the long run. Hopefully, they will continue to get smaller and return to normal size. We'll measure again in about 4 weeks.
I am ready to have another break from Dr's visits. I have one more appointment tomorrow and then a couple weeks off. We did get some really cool pictures this week, too.3D ultrasounds from the perinatologist.
I love the MRI pictures. Apple is on the left of this picture.
Apple is on the bottom now. It looks like she is trying to brace the weight of Bluebear by standing on my cervix. I don't know how well you can see it. But I love the silhouette of Apple's leg and foot, and Bluebear's arm.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Thank you for updating this. I guess Mark always talks to Phil, but Phil NEVER passes the info along. Such sweet pictures.

Laura said...

awesome photos! love sweet apple and bluebear