Thursday, August 18, 2011

Too Excited

As I may have mentioned already, Mark and I are really excited to have our little girls join us. My body, however, got a little too excited. Resulting in......a 3 day stay at the hospital while I received a round of steroids and got my contractions under control. Although the survival rates at 29 weeks are very good, we are glad that things are stable with the babies still growing inside. And we are glad to be home from the hospital.

I had gone in for a routine ultrasound Thursday when my Dr noticed that my cervix had started funneling, meaning that the top (baby side) was opening up a little. I was admitted to the hospital based on that finding. I was also dilated to a 1 (which we found out at the hospital). The Dr also discovered during the ultrasound that both babies look healthy and Bluebear's ventricles are about the same. Apple was 3 lbs. Bluebear was 2 lbs 6 oz. I didn't get any pictures. I think he got a little distracted by the cervix.

At the hospital I got steroid shots to help mature the babies just in case they were born early and some other medications to calm down my contractions so that I wouldn't go into labor before the steroids had time to take effect (48 hours). That first night was really crappy, but it got better from there. There were some more ups and downs over the next couple days, but Sunday early afternoon I was stable and able to go home.

So now I'm home on bedrest, which has its own ups and downs. It has been a week since I went into the hospital. I feel good mostly. I have had very few contractions and feel like I can read my body pretty well now. I know what I can do and at what point I need to back off. The hardest thing about bedrest is feeling fine but needing to ask somebody else to do something for me (people have been so kind and generous. Thanks!). Doing this for another two months seems like a really long time, but I feel like I can do it. I hope the babies will cooperate.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

thats so long! i hope you have some great books!! i will try to think of some to pass on. love you and see you in a month!